It might seem unreal, but if we look at the numbers, car windscreen repairs are the most common auto repairs. If it has a chip, getting it repaired is the wisest option. This is because a chip, irrespective of size, can cause problems later on. If you fix it on time, you will save some money in the long run.
Although you can do it by yourself, calling a professional to do it is a much better option. This is because a professional has all those tools that are required to repair to a windshield.
Some of the tools that a professional has include; plastic curing tab, a bridge injector, windshield pit filler, a dremel tool, and windshield repair resin.
Let us have a look at the steps involved in windshield repair work.
- The windshield is dried to the room temperature as working on wet shield can cause some serious issues. It is then cleaned thoroughly, preferably with alcohol. This is to ensure that any loose glass from around the chip is removed before doing anything else.
- Once it is clean and dry, the mirror is hooked on the inside. This mirror is centered on the chip. What it does is that it allows the repair personnel to have a look at it from every angle.
- Now, a seal is created over the chip area, the one where there is no glass. For this, professionals use some sort of a bridge. They center the bridge onto the chip and move on to the next step.
- At this point, the resin comes into the play. He now pours about five to ten drops of the resin into the bridge so it can reach the affected area of the windshield.
- Once it is done, they use an injector to push the resin into the chip. By keeping an eye on the mirror, they release the air and inject the resin again till the time the chip isn’t filled properly.
- Then, they keep it in this position for the next five to ten minutes, so that the resin can settle. Weather plays a role here as well. If it happens to be a bright sunny day, the resin might get cured prematurely. To avoid this from happening, they keep it covered.
- When it looks that the chip is finally set, they take the bridge off the windscreen. This has to be done gently so that they don’t leave off a scratch on any other part of the windshield.
But the task is not over yet. There’s something that they still need to do to fill the entire chip and make the windscreen look as if it were new. You will get cash for wrecked car melbourne .
If you look more closely, you will see a tiny spot that does not have the glass or resin on it. This bit of the chip needs to filled, because its presence can damage the windshield even further.
- They now take the pit filler and drop it directly where it is needed. Then a plastic curing tab is placed over the area in the direct sunlight, and is left as it is for a couple of minutes. This lets the filler to settle down and cure.
- Once it looks fine, they take a razor blade and chip off any excess material from the windshield.
Some of the professionals use some light polish on the area. This is to make it get even more smooth and clean. Once everything is done, you can see that it looks like as if there was nothing wrong with this thing at any time.
Remember that temperatures and pressures from both inside and outside of the car play a major role in the success of repairing a chip in the windshield of a car. Anyone can do this if he has the tool, but one single mistake, even the slightest one, can damage it further; beyond repair. What will be the solution then? You will have to get it replaced.
It doesn’t so well. In saving a few bucks by not taking the car to a certified technician, you can cause it a damage which would increase the expense tenfold.
Long cracks are an exception here as they cannot be repaired with this method. Also, if a chip has happened on exact same point where it was repaired anytime in the past, they won’t be fixed. Another place where you’re not lucky to get it repaired is the edge. If the chip is at the edge of the windshield, it’s nearly impossible to fill it with the resin.
If a rock has something like that your car, take it to a certified windscreen repair professional in your area. Don’t stress yourself for something that can possibly go wrong. It is better to pay little than to save it and spend much more later on.