People who are planning to start a food business should know that it’s really tough industry. And it requires continuous creativity and efficiency to satisfy customers. Other than that as an owner there are so many that you have to take care of. Just like team management, suppliers, food storing equipment, pricing and marketing strategies, and financial planning.
So at the start you should prefer to make a complete business plan so that everything goes well and organized. You have to pre-decide your budget, expenses and daily cash flows. Here in this article we are discussing about steps that you have to take while starting a food business.
1. Prefer to Create A Proper Business Plan:
The first thing that you have to do is to construct a plan for your food business. Actually, there are different types of food businesses so now you have to decide which type of food business you want. Whether you want to open a restaurant, catering business, or a bakery business. Other than that you plan should include following things:
- First of all decide business entity. And see whether you want to have a sole proprietorship, partnership, or want to start a Limited Liability Company.
- Next, you have to finalize the type of food business. And decide whether you want to start a restaurant, food truck, quick-service restaurant, pub or a bar.
- After that, decide your budget, marketing plan, logo, name of company, and products you want to offer.
2. Decide About the Food Business Equipment:
After that, the next step is to decide which equipment you want to have according to the nature of your business.
- Decide about kitchen appliances you need in your kitchen like ovens, microwave, stoves, fryers, and grills.
- Then decide about the cold storage appliances you need just like walk in freezers, ice machines and refrigerators.
- After that you have to decide about the work surfaces just like cutting boards, serve over counter, steam tables, and also cold food tables.
- Then decide about the furnishings of your outlet just like tables, chairs, cubicles, a host stand, and other decor.
3. Assemble Down Your Team of Professionals:
Now, after that, you have to start assembling your team that will work with you. First, analyze the type of food business that you are doing. After that you should prefer to hire the skilled labors, workers, waiters, or management staff. Obviously you won’t need more than one helper in your food truck business.
And in the same way, if you are hiring people for your bakery business, then you only need to have 3 to 4 people. But in a full-service restaurant you will need so many servers, bartenders, chefs in the kitchen and management staff. Arrange a training program for them.
4. Prefer to Get All the Permits and Licenses:
After that, make sure that you got all the licenses and permits to make your business legal. Here are a few documents that you need to have:
- Personal Employer Identification Number that you need for tax purposes.
- Next, you need to have a proper food business license from your state in which you are doing this business.
- Next, you must have a Certificate of Occupancy that will declare your restaurant safe for people.