Seniors should make their choices about medical care known in case they become incapacitated and are incapable of communicating due to disease or injury. No family needs to be left speculating about their loved one’s choices during a medical crisis.

Living Will vs. Health Care Directive:

A living will is about making your choices known, whatever those wishes may be. Your living will shorten your general choices about your problem in addition to defining specific decisions concerning:

  • Feeding and hydration while in a constant coma or a terminal disease
  • CPR or defibrillation after cardiac prevention
  • Organ and tissue donation
  • Other medical procedures
  • Use of a ventilator when powerless to breathe individually


You may have learned of seniors or individuals who are terminally sick who have put in position a “DNR.” A DNR says medical experts and family members that you do not need heroic measures to be attempted if your heart were to stop.

But a DNR is just one reasonable wish that can be done in a Health Care Directive. You could just as simply direct that all available medical procedures should be attempted during a medical crisis.

Putting Someone in Charge: Durable Power Of Attorney:

When you build a living will, you may also need to select a trusted loved one to make health care choices on your side through a legal report called a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care.

The individual you choose in your Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care will have the right to make medical decisions during a medical emergency, and it is his or her responsibility to make sure that health care providers take out the choices you have made in your Health Care Directive.

You may also think to build a Durable Power of Attorney for Financial Care. You may want to choose the same trusted loved one to get both medical and financial decisions on your behalf.

Consult an Attorney:

Each state has its health care directive form, and guidance concerning these directives also vary state by state, so make sure you fill out the correct way and know your state’s laws and then make an advance decision.

You can get the conventional paperwork to finish a health care directive and want a health care agent from your local Area Agency on Aging office, which you can find at

Because these reports are a material of life and death, you should discuss with an elder attorney if you have any problems or need support.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here