Blood cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer affecting men and women alike, regardless of their age. It is a serious disease which needs to be addressed and treated at the earliest. Most blood cancers, known as hematologic cancers begin in the bone marrow of a person.
This is the place where blood is produced. Blood cancers occur when the abnormal blood cells begin to grow out of control, thereby intruding the function of normal blood cells which carry out the task of producing new blood cells as well as fighting off infections.
Types of blood cancers:
According to the best cancer hospital in Delhi, blood cancer has four main types:
Leukemia is the most common blood cancer which originates in the bone marrow and blood. It develops when the body creates too many abnormal white blood cells and intrudes with the ability of the bone marrow to make red blood cells and platelets.
This form of cancer develops in the lymphatic system from the cells known as lymphocytes. It is known to be a type of white blood cell which helps the body to fight infections.
This is a kind of blood cancer which develops in the lymphatic system from the cells called lymphocytes. This cancer is also characterized by the presence of the Reed-Sternberg cell, an abnormal lymphocyte.
This blood cancer begins in the plasma cells of the blood, which is a type of white blood cell made in the bone marrow.
Symptoms of blood cancer:
According to the best cancer hospital in Delhi, blood cancer has the following symptoms:
- Persistent fatigue and weakness
- Fever and chills
- Nausea and loss of appetite
- Unexplained weight loss
- Bone and joint pain
- Night sweats
- Shortness of breath
- Frequent infections
- Itchy skin or rash in the skin
- Swollen lymph nodes in the groin, neck or underarms.
Blood cancer treatment is possible only if cancer has been diagnosed well in the body. The diagnosis of blood cancer helps the doctors to begin with the treatment immediately and meticulously. Blood cancer could be diagnosed by the doctors in a routine blood test prior to the development of all its symptoms. The following diagnostic exams are also carried out to treat the same:
- Physical signs of leukemia such as swelling in the lymph nodes, pale skin from anemia, enlargement of liver and spleen are looked upon by the doctor.
- Blood tests are carried out and cancer is detected by looking at the blood samples.
- The doctor may also recommend a procedure in order to remove a sample of bone marrow from the hipbone. This bone marrow is removed by the way of the thin and long needle. The sample is then sent to a laboratory to look for all leukemia cells.
Treatment of blood cancer:
Treatment of blood cancer depends upon a number of factors. The age, stage as well as overall health are the factors looked upon by the doctor to decide the treatment. Following are the options used by the doctors for blood cancer treatment:
- Targeted therapy
- Biological therapy
- Radiation therapy
- Stem cell transplant