For an enterprise, achieving the highest possible level of data quality in business decisions and operations is the primary requirement and it requires greater effort. Organizational efforts and engagement are required throughout a business and when done in the proper manner, can offer important insights and data for making business decisions.
Some of the added advantages of data cleaning involves, smooth business operations, increased productivity, quick sales process, and improved analytics. This indicates the growing need automation for data cleaning considering the amount of data for several businesses. If you have the right data tool like the Merge Purge, any gaps can be filled and a number of problems can be managed automatically before they can turn into a mess. This can eventually push efficiency into businesses and make their efforts profitable.
Therefore, finding the right data quality tool for your company is crucial to get the max benefits of your investment. Let’s walk you through the points that you must remember while buying a data cleansing tool.
What to look for while choosing a data quality tool?
It’s important for an organization to follow the right data cleaning practices for great positive impact across the company and hence, it’s good to invest some time to select the right software to meet the requirements. But, if the datasets are huge and complicated, it would be wise to outsource the process to a third-party data cleaning service provider for convenience.
Some of the criteria that you should consider while finding the right tool would be:
- Price – Check if it’s a one-time free tool or do you need to subscribe for it? Are there any add-ons that may add to the overall cost of the tool?
- Support – Check if it has a powerful support team to help the business with efficient decision making.
- Usability – Check if the tool is usable for business users apart from analytical or IT uses.
- Scalability – Given that the quantity of data keeps on growing and evolving for an organization, the tool should be able to keep up with this growth. It should also help with upgrades and modifications down the line, conveniently.
What should be the features of the data quality tool?
- Should have the ability to audit at what time and where the alterations were made to a record. This is an important activity for internal and external auditing and compliance issues.
- The tool must be compatible with all data sources that is used in your business for daily activities.
- It’s good if the tool is cloud-based as these tools open up many more options for small businesses with restricted hardware resources.
- The tool must support metadata as it surpasses insights gaps where important data is which could be used for assessment.
- It should be compatible with varied sources. For example, it should be able to analyse what number of and which sources can the data be extracted from. It should also be able to analyse the time that it would take run any process or to create them.
- The tool should be able to process data cleaning in batches. It should be able to program the regular data cleaning practices in advance ensuring the quality of your data in progress.
Choosing a Tool Based on Different Business Sizes
Your business size is equally important in helping you find the right data quality tool. There are three types of businesses that will have individual needs such as:
Small businesses with less than or equal to 10 employees generally do not require data cleansing tools in large-scale.
Mid-sized businesses with 10 to 100 workforces usually face a problem where they have enough data to need a tool and endeavour to keep it clean but, getting an entire team to place efforts isn’t reasonable. Eventually, it’s essential to get a strong tool that can help fulfil the requirements.
Large businesses with 100 to 500 workforces usually deal with huge volume of data moving in and out of the business. This kind of huge data usually needs a dedicated team to make sure that the quality of data is maintained. However, choosing a good quality and trusted data quality software like Merge Purge can make their life easy by automating the entire data cleaning process while allowing the team to focus on major tasks related to quality.
What should be the common services of good data quality tools?
Irrespective of the software you choose for your business, all tools must offer some services that are common.
- Data profiling is one service that can run a scan through the data to find any similarities, missing information, character sets and any other vital attributes. This will allow the tool to identify any irregular data at a later stage.
- Data elimination helps the deletion of duplicate data entries and also those data that does not match the profile requirements.
- Data transformation is the process to transform incorrect data (which is valuable) into good data by correcting any typo errors, standardization, and normalization of mumeric data to fall between minimum and maximum values.
- Data standardization is the process to convert data into a common usable format so that it can be analysed easily.
- Data harmonization is the process similar to standardization where it picks up data from different sources and converts them into a common usable format. However, harmonization focuses on consistency rather than conformity which is a trait of standardization.
The number of data quality tools are rising with each day, but there are a few that meet the quality criteria such as, Merge Purge. It can be challenging to find the right data quality tool from the pool of other software, but with some proper research, following the above tips, and suggestion from a reputed 3rd party data cleaning service provider, you can definitely find the best tool for effective data cleaning. So, choose the best data quality tool that can prove to be the most effective method to achieve high quality data for your business.